arrow_upward
Thoughts on the virus in the olympics?
Heard reports that 3 or more tested positive. Do you think this will cause them to cancel or something? Seems like they didn't do a good job of screening, or this wouldn't happen.

>screening for a flu virus
>in the summer

I'm sure they had a brief cough or something. Give them some HCQ and they'll be fine.

I think it was kind of inevitable

Won’t get canceled. Kinda expected with the amount of countries participating.

The cardboard beds are honestly hilarious

wait there are cardboard beds? thought japan would have pretty good accomadations.

Quote: The cardboard beds are honestly hilarious
"Environmentally friendly" beds. They said that each bed can hold up to two people during sexual activity. But I think they're only referring to people that weigh less than 150lbs each. I don't see these beds lasting with the power lifters and the discus/shotput people. Especially if they're gonna bang someone else. I can't wait for the social media posts of beds that didn't survive rounds of sex.

Virus will spread throughout the Olympic village because that's what the virus does. Nothing will get cancelled because they've had a year to cancel and refused to (despite the Japanese people and essentially everyone who doesn't stand to make a ton of money saying the Games shouldn't happen). Which is going to result in a lot of unfair medals getting awarded (ie, I'm betting that in some events the top person or top two people will test positive and get DQed meaning that people who have no business medaling will end up with gold/silver).

Hard to mitigate

Hard to mitigate. Just need to keep it under control

So the athletes will be in close competition in the day, and close quarters at night (assuming the beds surivive), and they're allowed to get sick. But the general population, that will most likely socially distance and (stupidly) wear masks, cannot go, because they might get sick? This is what happens when politicians need to stay in the public eye so that they can survive the next reelection cycle.

Neither the IOC or Japan will cancel because that would cost them huge bucks, but COVID will cause havoc throughout the village.

i doubt they'll cancel anything. been waiting for too long

Quote: Neither the IOC or Japan will cancel because that would cost them huge bucks
Too late.

Quote: but COVID will cause havoc throughout the village
No it won't.

Safety first

virus might kill but money matter more

very overblown look at european football last year they;ve been completely fine. as long as no spectators are allowed then there won't be a new outbreak

Think we need to be proactive about it

We should've made the virus a member of the Women's Soccer Team, we might've actually won Gold with it as a player.

Already athletes are testing positive and dropping out. Will a gold medal from this year really mean as much if the top competition is forced to quit?

They seem to continue testing even vaccinated people and not sure if that doesn't affect the false positivity.

I mean, they are testing them even when they can't meet most of the people, they don't really travel anywhere, they are kind of overdoing it in fear of an outbreak.