arrow_upward
Advice for a freshman
What skills do you guys highly recommend that a freshman should have before looking for any intern, except programming skills?

If you're going to be a freshman this fall, I feel bad for you, this is a shit time to be in a university. Community College isn't so bad and is preferable to debt and political correctness.

Here's my advice for you:
[color=green] >don't take biology, chemistry, or any other hard science for your first year, unless you're majoring in that
>don't take hard (Calculus on up) math classes your first year, unless you're majoring in that
>don't take programming or IT courses your first year, unless you're majoring in them
>get the English and foreign language bullshit out of the way asap
>if you already know a foreign language, test out of that language, so that requirement is waived for you
>find all the General Ed classes that cover two or three categories, and take those
>spend more time making friends, getting to know the area, and doing stuff
>minimize homework
>exercize, eat right, and don't gain the "Freshmen 15" (15lbs of blubber due to shitty ass fatty dorm food) like all the hot girls in your dorm will do [/quote]
That's what I've got for you. Social connections and learning social skills are more important you first year than your major. You're not gonna have mommy and daddy telling you what to do, so you also need to learn self-discipline. Learn, your limits, and know how to expand them in the right ways (not alcohol).

And... avoid the mystery drinks at frat parties.

[+] 1 user Likes olichan12's post
Did the quote complete fuck up?

Presentation skills will be important no matter what field you go into. First impressions are also important and that is kind of tied to how you present yourself the first time you meet your potential employer.

I felt as a freshman, the basics in school were very important. It felt like a job. Lots of points docked for late assignments or not showing up to lecture. Even if you do well on the test, the simple fundamentals as such would rank your grade. Even showing up late could hurt you. As college continues, you will be able to get away with some things. However, I felt freshman year, it was really hard to pick and choose what was important and to dedicate time in specific places.

Find someone you enjoy working with ASAP (professor, employer)! They will help you on your journey.