arrow_upward
Advice for getting a new computer?
So my laptop's keyboard and mouse have not worked in like 2 years.  Incredibly frustrating because I have to carry around a keyboard and mouse as well as my laptop just to use it at all.  The time has come to invest in a new computer.

I have a macbook Pro and, as a photographer, videographer by hobby, I may want to stay in the mac family, but they're bloody expensive. 

Any nerds here who have advice on getting a new laptop that won't cost $4000?

[+] 1 user Likes AAAAAAAAAAAAH's post
laptops are way overpriced, get a cheap laptop for everyday things and build a desktop for more intensive tasks like gaming or editing

I hear that, but I travel for work so a laptop is pretty important unfortunately.

Try getting a used laptop. Macs depreciate in value pretty quickly.

Maybe try the whole Hackintosh thing? Don't know how well it works for laptops. but there are savings to be made by going that route. You might end up with a $1500 headache while saving $1500 so it might not be worth it, though.

just get a mac.

[+] 1 user Likes imfrankjordan88's post
Figure out your budget. If your profession is a professional photographer... I wouldn’t cheap out in your work machine.. since it’s your editing money maker..

You only have 3 viable options:
1.) Repair laptop and mouse track
2.) Buy used MBP
3.) But new MBP

The repair keyboard and mouse track depends on how old your MBP is. If we’re talking a 2012 model, yeah you should upgrade. Don’t cheap out.

That will leave you with the last two options.. and depending on your budget will be what you can purchase.

Also to put this in perspective. If the MBP costs your $2500 and you can get 6 years out of it. It will cost you roughly $34.72 dollars a month or $1.15 dollars a day.

The most important asset will be your CPU and RAM. That will determine your processing speeds for video editing and photo editing.

Disk space, you can offload onto a external.

I really hope this helps, my man!