arrow_upward
Akira
So i have been told by virtually everyone that i should watch akira. I love anime and have watched alot of series and fillms since really getting into it in my teens. i have seen trailers ect for akira but something keeps putting me off it. my mate swears by it but we have very different tastes in our anime.

Should i take the plunge and get the 4K version or is it skipable?

[+] 5 users Like FinalFantasyRulez's post
I loved it as a teenager, a few decades back. Hard to say how to holds up, but if you liked the old Ghost in the Shell movie, and enjoy stories about cyberpunk and augmented humans in general, you'll love it. It really is a classic.

cheers for the info, ill give it a go. found the blu ray pretty cheap so took the plunge. will give it a view on the weekend.

funnily enough alot of people who reccomend it say they saw it as teenagers but havent gone back to it since. wonder why that is?

[+] 2 users Like FinalFantasyRulez's post
I just watched it recently for the first time. If you are going to watch it I would recommend the 4K version. Its more of a metaphorical and artistic type movie rather than an action movie. It helped start the post-apocalyptic genre.

Let me know what you think!

i really reccomend it. it set the standard for anime films.

i know you bought the blu ray but you should of got it 4k.. let us know what you think

What is Akira? I’m a graphics designer and I’ve seen a lot of people make art with Akira as inspiration but idk what it is

its a cyber punk anime from the 80s, redefined what people thought anime was. it reall was groundbreaking.

I as like you and put ir off for several years. I finally watched it and... meh. Its good, but maybe overrated. You will maybe appreciate the historical relevance and groundbreaking art technique, but it was an average to above average showing for me.

I have finally watched it and... as above poster said it was ok, thought the art was really good for the time and i can see how people who saw it as teenagers rave about it, i probably would of too, but as it stands it was just ok. dont regret the purchase and glad i finally saw it, but probably wont watch it again.

[+] 1 user Likes FinalFantasyRulez's post
The original is an absolute classic idk about the newer ones.

Og AKIRA I love the soundtrack

Haven't seen the remake, but the original, WHILE VISUALLY INTERESTING, is such a weird mind fuck

Such a weird movie. Waaayyy too much hype for it IMO