arrow_upward
Algorithms
Could you guys please give me some cool programming algos that arent taught in school? An quick example also would be helpful.

[+] 1 user Likes chickeneligible1's post
Algorithms to solve what problem? In algorithms class, the first ones you go over are typically sorting algorithms. You start with something like bubble sort, then move on to quicksort.

breefan Wrote:Algorithms to solve what problem? In algorithms class, the first ones you go over are typically sorting algorithms. You start with something like bubble sort, then move on to quicksort.
I mean high school programming classes. What is bubble sort?

Bubble Sort is an algorithm you might go over in a high school class. It's a way to sort an array of numbers. Basically, you go through the list two numbers at a time and swap if the second number is smaller. If you go through the array enough times in this way, eventually the numbers will be in order from lowest to highest. It's not a very efficient algorithm, but it works. Algorithms class is a basically about studying the properties of algorithms and how to compare them against each other. So by the end you should be able to analyze bubble sort, compare it with other algorithms, and explain why one algorithm is more efficient than another mathematically.

I would highly recommend Hackerrank.com

Programming seems impossibly difficult

Ok I just found out about recursion, and it has opened up so many ways of seeing a problem's solution that I'd never think up before. What are some good recursion-implemented algos that I can learn?

Algorithms for me were hard, I could do the algorithm when I had code ready but not vice versa.

chickeneligible1 Wrote:Ok I just found out about recursion, and it has opened up so many ways of seeing a problem's solution that I'd never think up before. What are some good recursion-implemented algos that I can learn?
If you like recursion check out the Liso language - its basically built on recursion. One famous recursive algorithm is binary search. Look it up.

Binary search, sort (selection, bubble then merge), and some more advanced algos. Geeks 4 geeks a great resource.

Leetcode is also a good place to practice.

The best Algo you can see is the one you write.
Seriously, without knowing Algo for what, this thread is just a joke. Algo isn't just something you can copy and paste. A whole project of billions of lines can be considered as a Algo.