arrow_upward
Auto HotKey
Does anyone else use AutoHot Key for automation? I hear its a great starting area to learn to code in. Any other language suggestions for a beginner?

[+] 1 user Likes mikeytroll's post
I don't know if I would recommend it for starting out, but it definitely is useful. I use it in a professional environment. It makes creating shortcuts and user interfaces pretty easy. However it's a bit sloppy of a language.

It is easy to learn and can be used for automating boring stuff but it's definitely not good enough for writing large GUI based programs.

i wouldnt recommend it as a first language - but if it works for you then each to their own

Yea wouldn't really recommend it to learn "programming", but to deviate from your question a bit, it is super handy.  I'll share one tiny use case that I find extremely handy.  This is a "Volume.ahk" script I've used for the past 10+ years:
Code:
~LButton & WheelUp::
  Send {Volume_Up}
return

~LButton & WheelDown::
  Send {Volume_Down}
return

~LButton & MButton::
  Send {Volume_Mute}
return

All it does is provide a super handy volume control while keeping your hand on the mouse.  You click and rotate the mouse wheel down (for volume down) or up (for volume up).  Again, not the most impressive use of AHK, but it's so handy to control volume without moving your hand off the mouse.

Oh and PS - you should have AHK compile this (or any of your hotkeys) to .exe and put it in the Windows startup folder (to auto-start your hotkeys at boot).