arrow_upward
Best free Powershell resources?
I have to write a lot of adhoc scripts in my job, mostly to take large inconsistent data sets and created subsets of more normalized data.  I've always done it with VB Scripting because my background came from Basic because the coding concepts from one easily translated to the other.
MS seems to be positioning Powershell more strongly as a replacement for VBS with every release of Windows, so I thought I'd try rewriting an existing VBS scripts in PS but I can't get my head around the way it works for even simple things like string manipulation.

Anybody know of any free online resources for learning PS suitable for a comparative noob at PS? Blush   If so, I'd seriously appreciate a pointer in their direction - thanks in advance!

smellar Wrote:I have to write a lot of adhoc scripts in my job, mostly to take large inconsistent data sets and created subsets of more normalized data.  I've always done it with VB Scripting because my background came from Basic because the coding concepts from one easily translated to the other.
MS seems to be positioning Powershell more strongly as a replacement for VBS with every release of Windows, so I thought I'd try rewriting an existing VBS scripts in PS but I can't get my head around the way it works for even simple things like string manipulation.

Anybody know of any free online resources for learning PS suitable for a comparative noob at PS? Blush   If so, I'd seriously appreciate a pointer in their direction - thanks in advance!
I've spent years copying/pasting from stack exchange or other resources. Eventually I started forcing myself to learn by typing it out myself but some of my scripts would fail and I could never figure it out. 

I highly recommend this book, 

RE: Best free Powershell resources?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Best free Powershell resources?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
 yours in PDF for the low price of Free99.

Powershell itself has some pretty decent resources. Update-Help and use Get-Help as needed.

I recommend you run the Update-Help cmdlet then use Get-Help as needed. 

For any cmdlet that you want to learn more about just type get-help set-adgroupmember 
if you want to see some examples you can type get-help set-adgroupmember -examples
etc etc

[+] 1 user Likes 2buckchuck's post
Lets see whats in this

2buckchuck Wrote:I highly recommend this book, 

RE: Best free Powershell resources?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Best free Powershell resources?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
 yours in PDF for the low price of Free99.

Haven't been on here for a month or so, but thanks for the book link and the other advice man Smile