arrow_upward
Convince me why I should watch GoT
Don't. It becomes kind of "meh" around season 5 and then completely goes off the rails towards the end.

Damn, I want those hours of my life back...

Can't say yes or no, can only offer my view as someone who watched it all but never touched the books.

Seasons 1-4 are fantastic. Gets better every season IMO.
Season 5 is a slog. It has its moments but it just feels so slow and kind of....uneventful overall.
Season 6 picks up a little bit, but by the end of it it pays off on so many various plot threads. Season 6 is very goddamn satisfying.

But, this is also around the time they caught up with the books. Which means they had to make their own content. They had a general outline of how the rest of the series is envisioned to be, but they pretty much had free reign. This ends up being a little double edged:

On the one hand, they get to build hype with the biggest semi-confirmed fan theories. And boy do they.
On the other hand, mmmm the writing is definitely lacking. We lose a lot of great dialogue-heavy moments, but in return we get a lot of wonderful action-scenes. This is what throws people off, because some might argue that it's always been building up for these huge battles and interactions between key characters, while others lament that it's traded wonderful writing for expensive CGI.

Season 7: YMMV

And then we get to the final season, which is undeniably rushed and packed into a smaller season. The writing is terrible, but what compounds this is the terrible pacing. If it had been dragged out to another season or hell just a full season, yes the writing would have still been weak but a lot more things would have made sense. Key scenes would have felt earned and properly built up to. The last episode in particular is very bad with it's pacing, being an extra long episode which in itself still feels like it should have been stretched out to 2-3 episodes minimum.

I'd say watch it. Watch it to appreciate why it caught everyone by storm. Watch it for the great acting, the wonderful score, the (originally) great writing, and absolutely wonderful cinematography. The writing is shit in the final season but goddamn if it didn't look absolutely beautiful the whole time.

So many haters. Go in with an open mind and you will enjoy it. It is very entertaining

Watch it and then skip the last season, read a plot synopsis instead for that bit, you'll save braincells.

It's got some beautiful cinematography, gratuitous use of tits, and a couple compelling storylines.

It's worth investing the time in IMO, even the last couple series, just to watch some of the characters get their just desserts.

because there is really a lot of 'interesting' plot twist in the last season.

If you like killing, tits, and dragons its the one Big Grin

The book series is pretty good, and the tv series can provide some good visuals to it later on. Supposedly the next book is coming out this year, though that might just be hopeful rumor.

As the theme of Family Guy says:
It seems today
That all you see
Is violence and movies
And sex on TV

So, you have violence and sex, it's good for me Big Grin

Also, good story but I'll admit, there are some bad episodes...

Well, at first you need to just see the whole season 1, and then decide do you like it or not