arrow_upward
Daily commute
What are people's opinions on how far/long they are willing to travel to work every day. I'm looking at changing jobs and trying to weigh up more money Vs a longer commute at the moment it takes between 20 and 30 minutes each way.

I travel a lot for my job and my company will choose a random hotel to place me in. The closest I've been to the workplace is about 15 minutes, while the furthest was 40-50 minutes (with traffic). And that was just a one way trip. I got paid the same either way so it might be a different feel to your situation, but it wasn't worth it to me. Essentially, over an hour of my day was lost to just driving to and from work so it's like an 8-9 hr shift plus ~1.5 hr out your day. Less time for personal life, earlier bed time/less sleep time, and having to wake up even earlier. So I'd weigh that in too vs how much more the new job would be paying I guess.

[+] 1 user Likes ceratsiv's post
I fckin hate the daily commute that’s why I’m so happy about work from home lol

[+] 1 user Likes joachimlee's post
That would be my dream job  Blush

After being stuck at home for a couple of days due to snow I think a closer job might be the way forward now

Depends on how much upgrade in pay is as your essentially wasting some time commuting.

pretty much depends on how much i am paid per hour, as longer travels mean more time of my day are wasted on working (or going to/from). If I can choose regardless, I prefer less than an hour, more or less 45~ min on public transport seems reasonable to me, but would rather choose less, of course.

get a car and cut that public transport Big Grin

Travel method is what affects commute quality for me the most. If I'm driving myself I can't really stand anything more than 20-30 minutes as an everyday thing, especially when tired, etc. Some jobs I've worked at I've bused or biked to them and that's a lot more acceptable to be longer, sitting 45 minutes on a bus gaming on my phone or biking for an hour is kind of a stress relief period rather than stress inducing the way driving is.