arrow_upward
Disney to stop make physical 4k Blu-rays
It appears that Disney is bringing an end to the physical releases of its films.

According to a report from The Digital Bits, Disney will cease the 4k Ultra HD physical release of its movies. All releases will be digital.

“Beyond new release theatrical titles, animated fare from Disney and Pixar, or Star Wars and Marvel-related projects, there were no plans at the studio going forward to release titles on physical 4K Ultra HD—future releases would be 4K Digital only.”

This new policy is also reported to extend beyond Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel to include all of the Touchstone and Fox movies now under the Disney umbrella such as The Abyss and Alien. The last films currently scheduled to arrive on physical 4k Ultra HD are Hocus Pocus and Home Alone.

We at Inside the Magic understand that several of our readers are very avid collectors of physical movies and will find this news concerning.The Walt Disney Company has not made an official announcement on this plan yet, so this news should be taken with a grain of salt until they do so.

However, it should be mentioned that Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment’s revenue dropped in the third quarter.

Not surprised. Will encourage more to go out and watch it in the cinemas for a better experience. Like games, people like to have a physical copy, it's a shame it won't be possible much in the future as Disney will set a trend.

[+] 1 user Likes schlongdong94's post
Why would they do this, absolute trash

Wow as if the mouse wasn't greedy enough. This forces people to be locked into their subscription service. Once they get big enough, they'll probably change their model to have an Ultra version (4K) like Netflix does, locking content away. Someone above made the smart comment about movie theaters, which they have a vested interest in as well. They know that kids repeatedly watch movies and with a disc, they weren't getting any extra sales.

This makes me sad. I really love owning physical copies of films that I can go back and watch on my terms.
One of my favourite films that I got to see in the cinemas this year (the lighthouse) isn't even getting a Blu ray release in my country. Sad

Crappy but not surprising. I always preferred owning a physical copy, even when iTunes came out I still bought a CD. Haha. But this will definitely help their streaming service, which is the future for sure, no matter how much I dislike it.
Quote:

It's a shame. Physical copies are pretty awesome.