arrow_upward
Do you like paired programming?
Having experienced it, I like it a lot. I once dated the person I was paired with because you got to be more social and also see how their mind worked which was really cool. Plus you can call them out on their BS in the context of work so it eliminates the phoniness.

But apart from that, I've also done it at other points throughout my career and it was really helpful actually for learning.

Quote: I once dated the person I was paired with
I've never heard of anything like that over here in burgerland. But it has been a while since I did actual programming, so things may have changed. But hell, I wouldn't ever date the person I was paried with! You either get another dude to be paired with, or some woman who really doesn't know what's going on, but has a boyfriend and a hookup on the side, and wants you to be their emotional sponge, so she can keep fucking others. I guess Euro female programmers are different than US ones, because I couldn't ever see your situation happening here.

It's very big in classrooms here in the UK and it's not all the time, it just happened in this particular situation. I haven't done paired programming a lot at companies, most just want to grind you individually.

I've never done that in any classroom. Most everything is grind it out on your own, but people will choose to work together sometimes. And in every programming class I've ever been in, there has never been any females, save for one basic programming class I took in high school, where there was one girl.

I like it a lot too. Good way to get started and to learn the code base. And see how other's think

Personally, I think its pretty fun.

Quote:I like it a lot too. Good way to get started and to learn the code base. And see how other's think

It's good for that and helpful for learning, even if you're the one doing the teaching because you can still learn from the new or different mistakes a beginner would make.

It's highly recommended! it's fun and gives you some sort of a push if you need one

my friend spent 18 months pair programming in his first job.  He rotated between 3 partners - 1 of them was easy to work with but the others hated their lives and were working for the weekends.  He was glad when he finally left the job.

Didn't know this was a thing, sounds like a waste of resources to me imo

Our company tries to pair whenever we program. It helps with an extra set of eyes and you can immediately get feedback from your partner.

I need to experiment more with mob programming.

The only real merit is that it helps to learn the code base. If the engineers are competent, pair programming is extremely inefficient.

Personally I think it's pretty good. Is it 2 x the efficiency? No. But especially in initial implementation/design it's pretty helpful.

i think its very useful, obviously its not something you can do all the time as two people coding together will probably produce less code overall. However its a great opportunity to learn from each and increase rapport. i think thats what i always strive towards having mini hackathons with the team on a regular basis (every couple of months)