arrow_upward
Do you like when old games get remastered graphics or do you prefer the originals?
I'm split on this topic as the graphics improvements tend to be good but sometimes distract. In the case of the original SPYRO trilogy, the remastered graphics look beautiful but the original's simple polygons fit the whimsical world better and had less distracting details.

SPYRO series - remastered graphics look great but the original's low polygons and bold colors made it much easier on the eyes to see what is happening.

WINDWAKER HD - additional lighting elements like haze and flares distract from the original's clean cel-shading

FFVII 3D Remake - the original did have low texture resolutions that didn't hold up today, but the 3D remake looks horrible and removes the abstraction and mystery and color of the original sprites

CRASH BANDICOOT series - while the enhancement changes some things like the color and font of the ? boxes, overall the original's textures were always rough as were its controls so this is an improvement.

As long as the style is preserved. Halo 1 and 2 were vastly improved in the MCC.

as long as the gameplay is untouched, better graphics will always be a positive to me. not necessary but still an upgrade.

[+] 1 user Likes hgh662's post
Quote:as long as the gameplay is untouched, better graphics will always be a positive to me. not necessary but still an upgrade.

That's a good point about the gameplay. I do find Spyro slightly distracting but that game series was also known for doing inventive things to maintain an extremely long draw-distance for its objects and very distinctive color combinations that the look of the originals very much influences the feel of the game. I find the new version too detailed, but the gameplay is still solid and relatively untouched.

I think remastered graphics for old games are awesome. Not only are you getting back your best memories from these games but you also can see the beauty of it Big Grin

Whenever I replay Halo CE and Halo 2 in the Master Chief Collection, I always go with the original graphics, It's not that the new looks bad, I just prefer that old, simpler art style. Has alot of charm in my opinion

Games like risk of rain haha