arrow_upward
Does anybody have any experience with meditating?
I would like to get into meditation. Does anybody have suggestions for this?

There are many tutorials on Youtube. The basic premise is to sit still and try to connect with your body, your senses, and your breathing, and away from the hurricane of thoughts (plans, worries, hopes, games, people, anything) we are bombarded with on a daily basis. Whenever your mind inevitably naturally goes back to the thoughts, that isn't a failure, that's normal. Just acknowledge the thought, tell yourself "I have time to think about that later," and go back to your senses. Over time this trains your mind to be less cerebral and helps you live more in the moment.

I've tried to get into doing it consistently but it's difficult. My best success has been when I set my goals to do it just 5 or 10 minutes a day minimum. That way the minimum bar for success is lower so I stay consistent and it becomes a habit. From there, slowly increase the amount of time you want to do it.

As far as results or benefits, I haven't noticed any directly, but I imagine that's normal. It's a lot like working out - the changes to your body are so gradual that without having a scale, or seeing a picture of yourself from months ago, you almost can't tell if there's any progress. Except even more difficult since there's no way to take a snapshot of your thoughts to compare to some time from now. However, many prominent figures swear by it - for instance Tim Ferriss, who interviews many figures at the top of their respective fields, says the vast majority of those people have some form of meditation habit.