arrow_upward
Does anyone like watching a sport that is not native or popular in their country?
I like watching American baseball which is not really played in Europe but I find it very fascinating. I also know some Americans really like watching "soccer" which is obviously huge for us but not that big in America.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

The American Channel ESPN 3 used to be a treasure trove of foreign sport. Pro Euro volleyball, smaller soccer teams from around the world, foreign basketball, and a lot of lesser-known American collegiate sports that get next to no air time. I watched a ton of Cricket, something never shown on American television.

Quote: "soccer" which is obviously huge for us but not that big in America
Soccer is huge among American youth. Every Saturday, millions of kids go play in their soccer leagues. I think more kids play soccer than American Football. You have no idea how popular it is over here.

[+] 1 user Likes olichan12's post
Quote:Soccer is huge among American youth. Every Saturday, millions of kids go play in their soccer leagues. I think more kids play soccer than American Football. You have no idea how popular it is over here.

Wow, I had no idea. That sounds like a lot. It always seems to be a bit of a niche in the United States but I know you share a border with Mexico and futbol is a big sport there.

Someone else also posted on here about Sumo Wrestling which I had not thought of but sounds brilliantly fascinating to watch.

Soccer is the go-to game for youth, as it doesn't beat up your body as much as American Football does. Don't get me wrong, American Football is extremely popular American youth, but there are numerically more youth soccer teams than youth football teams. This is the opposite once you're in an American high school, but most players are outside of the high schools, in the separate youth teams. Over here, soccer is dominated by Whites and Hispanics.

Interestingly, American Football is just as popular in Mexico as it is here in burgerland. Their public schools and universities have their own American Football programs, and their universities have their own playoff/national championship system like we do.

One of the more interesting sports that ESPN 3 broadcasts is Cornhole. I thought it was just a drunken bar/party game. Nope, there's a full professional league for it. Same with frisbee football.

[+] 1 user Likes olichan12's post
I mean, if u can, I think most people try and see if a sport they see on tv, and if they like it, will try to watch again
Chess is not so big like it was in the cold war, but if u like it, even if in your home country its not really big, or even not consider a real sport, u follow the sport
Same with others sports

Quote:Chess is not so big like it was in the cold war, but if u like it, even if in your home country its not really big, or even not consider a real sport, u follow the sport

Are Chess tournaments broadcasted? Probably only on youtube.

I got hooked on basketball recently and well, tennis also attracts me.

Aussie rules football is a lot of fun, although it's hard to find and watch here.