arrow_upward
Dungeons and Dragons
Anyone play Dungeons and Dragons? Do you think the community is better now that DND has become more mainstream? Do you prefer in person or online?

What the hell is even that? I've heard of this game from Stranger Things, but I never cared about it, neither did my friends
And no, I'm not saying you can't like it
But can you please explain to me what is that?

Play it mainly on Discord nowadays, is really fun imo. As for it becoming mainstream, I have no issue whatsoever. In fact, I think this change is good, as more people means more players and potential dms, and more potential characters to see get made and the like.

To the comment above, Dungeon and Dragons is a roleplaying game where you make a character with certain stats and, with a group of other players and one Dungeon Master (who is like the narrator who controls all the NPC, enemies, etc.) you sort of talk out an adventure. I have not watched Stranger Things, but from what I can tell they do it similarly to how some play the game. Some play extremely into it with Live Action Role Play where they dress up as their characters and the like, while others are extremely casual (aka all theater of mind slash imagination). If you want to see how the game is in action, I recommend Critical Role streams. A group of voice actors from various places playing DND, usually DMed slash hosted by Matt Mercer. There are also tons of Youtube channels like Runesmith, XP to Level 3, Davy, and more if you want to look into what it is like to play DND.

In summary (lol): DND is a game where you play pretend with your friends under a certain set of rules, with one of said friends being the narrator to an overarching tale (or short one) that you and the other players go through in the metaphorical shoes of your character. Hope this helps.

I am not sure if it is "better" or "worse." It is defiantly more mainstream, which comes with pros and cons. I do however, love playing in person. I haven't been able to run a session in person for over a year now... However, playing virtually allows me to bring in other friends who live hours away, so that is one positive aspect of virtual playing.

Do you use any virtual tabletop tools like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds? Would you still do online DND even after you're able to play in person again?