arrow_upward
ETFs and index funds
I don’t understand why people don’t just invest in etfs and index funds. They literally just always go up in the long run

Taking it to the mooooon!!!

Nowadays, everyone wants to find the next Amazon, Google, Tesla stock. Getting an average return of 7% a year in the market won't entice many people who don't understand the power of compounding interest. Truth be told, we don't have enough time in this world and people would rather get rich quick than to get rich slowly. I mean, it takes like 10.5 years to double your investment with returns of like 7% annually.

Index funds are a great place to start, but you have to find the right one. There are so many these days. Low fee and generally popular index is good. I also like to put a few dollars into each of a few different stocks that are new and have potential. I got into Tesla, but not as early as I wish, and Netflix, both have done well. But if you want to go with stocks, you gotta research and buy to keep many promising ones so if one dumps, the others can cushion the fall.

You won't ever get 2000% returns from an Index.

For every unicorn that you can discover, there's many more that fail to make any mark. I get the appeal in why some people purchase individual stocks, but to be honest the economies of scale just doesn't make sense for a small time trader. You're taking significantly more risk trading individual stock, and if you're not doing it full time, then you're already disadvantaged.

Everyone wants to just make a quick buck now days

Because they're not fun hahaha. I just use index funds though.