arrow_upward
Getting into graphic design as an interior design graduate
So I just finished my bachelor's in interior design and was wondering how to push into the graphic design industry. I was hoping most of the work I've done in college could directly translate into graphic design, but most companies I've reached out to requested for graphic design specific portfolios. What are your thoughts on how i should push on if I ever want to be a graphic designer. Thanks

I’ve been a graphic designer for 5 years and not once has a client asked me to pick out curtains for them. If you want to be a graphic designer, an interior design degree will not help you in the slightest.

Take graphic design classes and work on portfolio pieces that bridge the gap.

Interior design sketches = do clean graphic design renderings of interior rooms and exterior buildings in different styles: vector, sketch, line art, color, black and white, iconographic.

Wallpaper selection = do graphic design renderings of abstract patterns that could resemble wallpaper designs but demonstrate graphical abilities balancing composition, shape, and color.

Industrial / commercial interior design = do graphic design renderings of signs for buildings that showcase their logos to demonstrate your abilities with creating logos and using typography.

What I've done is shown how elements of your schooling would translate to elements of graphic design, which are: visual renderings, abstract patterns, iconography, typography, color theory, composition.