arrow_upward
Great Week for Boxing and MMA Fans!
What a weekend it has been for fight fans.

In boxing, we had Oleksandr Usyk pulling off a very, very impressive win over Anthony Joshua (AJ's second career loss). Usyk looked completely dominant over Joshua, who was struggling with Usyk's nimble footwork. He wasn't really loading up his punches with enough power either, and was managing distance very poorly. 

I know that many boxing fans were doubting him (me, included), but Usyk had a masterclass of a performance, one of the best that I have ever seen considering how much he was underestimated by fans before the fight. What this means for the supposed "Fury vs. Joshua" superfight that was set to take place is something we'll have ti wait and see.

Then in MMA, we had Nick Diaz coming out of his "retirement" to steal inside the octagon for the first time since 2015 to face off Robbie Lawler, in a rematch of their fight which took place back in '04. Expectedly, the man who hadn't fought for 6 years lost, but it was great seeing Nick back in a cage. We also had Shevchenko pulling off another dominant win as she continues to build on her status as one of the greatest P4P fighters, regardless of gender.

The main event was Volkanovski vs. Ortega, and this was an absolute Fight of the Year contender. An entertaining fight from start to end, the main talk among fans was the 3rd round though. Ortega unexpectedly dropped Volkanovski, and dove right in and sunk a guillotine choke in breakneck speed. Volkanovski was locked in a tight and deep choke, but somehow managed to free himself. 

Now, Ortega is a fighter with a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which makes it all the more impressive. What's even more impressive is that later that same round, Ortega locked Volkanovski in a leg triangle choke from bottom position. Once more, Volkanovski proved his resilience as the champ to free himself from that choke. After that, the fight was just Ortega trying to hang on as his face was mercilessly bruised from Volkanovski's vicious ground-and-pound strikes.

How are the fight fans here feeling about this weekend of fights (both MMA or Boxing)?

[+] 2 users Like Aron Nora's post
I know that many boxing fans were doubting him (me, included), but Usyk had a masterclass of a performance, one of the best that I have ever seen considering how much he was underestimated by fans before the fight. What this means for the supposed "Fury vs. Joshua" superfight that was set to take place is something we'll have ti wait and see.

It was a great weekend. Felt like AJ went in with the wrong strategy and should've come into the fight in his pre-Ruiz shape to try and have a power/strength advantage over a former cruiserweight in Usyk.

MMA was great, was sad to see Nick the way he was. I feel like something was wrong leading up to the fight as he was in good shape a few months ago and it doesn't really make sense to then come in out of shape, perhaps it was sickness or injury. Shevchenko as always was great, she's going to basically retire with the 125lb belt and it's a question of whether she'll take another crack at 135 I think. The Ortega Volkanovski fight was so good, I did feel like Ortega was a bit unlucky as I think he broke his nose from an accidental headbutt in the 3rd. He was still losing and I think the outcome would've probably been the same albeit a closer decision but I felt like it did set him back a bit. Crazy the way Volk managed to fight through the guillotine while being fully mounted and then fighting out of the triangle a bit after. Definitely feel like this fight has gotten Volk the respect he deserves from the fans

[+] 1 user Likes MapleLeafMarco's post
Usyk was excellent. Obviously, he was great at cruiserweight but I had doubted whether he'd be able to do enougj against AJ. Proved us doubters wrong big time. The rematch (if it happens) should be very interesting because Usyk is obviously going to take things seriously unlike Ruiz who looked like he spent more time eating than training for his rematch with AJ.

I share the same sentiment about Nick, seeing him at the weigh-ins had me thinking the same thing. But then again, 6 years' worth of ring rust was never going to help him. Volkanovski vs. Ortega is definitely up there for Fight of the Year.

Headbutts are one of those things that just happen sometimes, yet there's not much you can do to prevent it. But yes, Ortega was never going to win that fight anyway. Volkanovski fought so ruthlessly and relentlessly. Ortega took a lifetime's worth of whooping. Came out the fight looking like Rory Macdonald after that fight with Lawler.

I think both fighters earned a lot of respect after this fight because frankly speaking, they didn't have much prior. Ortega has always been viewed as a prick by fight fans, and Volk has always been that guy who beat Holloway when he really lost. But fair play to both of them, they put on a legendary fight.

Yeah it was a shame that Ruiz got carried away and showed up in such poor form for the rematch, Usyk's been a proper professional so as you said he'll prepare well.

I feel like it was a closer fight than the scorecards had it, the scores were fair but it doesn't capture how close a few of those rounds were. Pretty sure it's my fight of the year so far. Interesting you mention Rory as I was kinda wondering about Ortega's career and health, he's taken a lot of damage. Hopefully he takes a pretty large amount of time off to recover and it doesn't affect him.

I’m excited that’s for sure

I am up and watching. What a great opening bout!