arrow_upward
I've got $1500 CAD to invest in a new computer, what are your recommendations?
I've got 1500 invested for something new.

My specs are:
Memory:          2x4 gigs of ddr3 ram
CPU:                Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard:   Gigabyte H97-D3H-CF
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
PSU:                Thermaltake SMART 650 W
Case:               BitFenix Nova Mesh TG 4ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case

I have a spare set of 16gigs of ddr4 ram lying around.

I don't mind reusing some parts; like the case or the PSU if it means getting better parts.

I plan on using it primarily for 3D modeling work, Unity development, programming, and gaming.

I would recommend waiting for Black Friday. It’s gonna be next month and you can save hundreds of dollars.

[+] 1 user Likes Jonjay228's post
Thanks for the heads up! 

If this isn't too much trouble, would you recommend a ryzen 5 or 9?
I've heard that Ryzen cpu's are more versatile for rendering images and games alike.

Check out "Logical Increments" for a good list of recommended parts by tier.

[+] 1 user Likes nissyack's post
I agree that you should wait for black friday, the saved money is definitely worth the wait. The parts you should get really depends on how intense the games and other things you are going to do will be.

[+] 1 user Likes confidentialprojecttol's post
Bro just wait for the black friday it will help u to choose the right thing

[+] 1 user Likes healcomini's post
Yeah Black Friday is a life saver.

[+] 1 user Likes The Awesome Sauce Bros's post
wait for there to be enough new GPUs in stock before buying

[+] 1 user Likes hey ho hi's post
Thanks for the heads-up everybody, especially now that amd is releasing their zen 3 cards in a couple days.

What is everyone's general percentage guideline on parts? 40% GPU, 30% CPU?

Yep, consider Black Friday discounts, but also take in mind that the prices tend to rise for Christmas.

GPU or CPU, it strongly depends on the use of your pc and if you will make overclock.

Under CPU side, just to make an example on current Ryzen 3, the 3600 (6core-199USD) is enough for gaming, so you will take no significant advantage with a higher CPU like 3800x (8core-399USD).
But for professional using (es. 3d rendering) more cores on CPU means more power and speed of calculation.

Under GPU side, it depends on the resolution of your monitor (es if you want to play on fullHD the GPU may on your configuration could be ok, but if you want to play 2k it is not enough), the game you like to play and the settings aimed.

I think you will find a lot of suggested solution for a PC build for about USD 1k on web. Try with Linus Tech Tips on youtube for example.

[+] 1 user Likes articname's post
What is everyone's thoughts so far for this build? This is just a temp-aim build, something to aim for while shopping during black friday or boxing day

RE: I've got 00 CAD to invest in a new computer, what are your recommendations?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: I've got 00 CAD to invest in a new computer, what are your recommendations?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.

Some parts will be salvaged from my current build; for example, the PSU and the case. Thus labeled as purchased and set to 0

This is for 3d work and games (both playing and making)

Recommended monitors would definitely be helpful. Current Monitor LG 22MP48HQ-P IPS 22-Inch LED-Lit Monitor

A question I have is, should I get a ryzen 7/9 3000 chip or a ryzen 5 5000 chip?

definitely wait at least to black friday. new gpus and cpus are coming as well which will put downward pressure on current stuff