arrow_upward
Is The Sopranos overrated?
I just finished watching the first season and apart from one episode the rest felt just meh to me.

The one episode I did like was Ep5 College which according to the wiki was ranked as number 2 on best TV episodes of all time. 
I really liked that episode so Im not surprised but the rest of the season after that - another 8 episodes - was just okay. 
I didn't really feel that much excitement after Episode 5. Maybe I expected too much after that episode? idk

If I didn't like the first season that much, should I bother watching the rest or find something else to watch?

I'd guess I'd like to know if there any any future episodes as good as Ep5 or if it's just more of the same.

it doesn't change significantly from season to season - that's one of it's strengths, it's amazingly consistent. there are plenty of great episodes down the line but if the whole of season 1 didn't do it for you then the rest probably won't either

[+] 1 user Likes Dslg01's post
that's a good point about being consistent, most shows get worse the longer they last so its good to know it doesn't drop in quality.

i might give it some time and then watch season 2 and be more realistic with my expectations. S01 was good, I think I was just expecting more and thought it would get
really dramatic after Ep5.

Most shows have a point in a season when something happens and causes problems later. No spoilers for anyone but I thought that Tony's trip and the events of it would
come back later. I guess I was trying to analyze it too much.

Also i didnt like the rap/music sub-plot but i guess it could have potential if done right

I gave up after one episode. I thought the dialogues and characters were already very clichéd.

[+] 1 user Likes Kazar's post
It's funny you said that. I didn't like the first episode either.

I then found out that the pilot was filmed way before the rest of S01 and used as a test for the show.
That's why Tony looks so much thinner in Ep1. Gandolfini put weight on when they got picked up I think.

But yeah, I found a lot of it cliched too and kept wondering why everyone I know thinks its the best show they've seen.
I asked one and he said, it was the first one to do this type of TV and feels familiar cuz everyone copied it.
I guess thats true but Ive watched shows from the 90s that still feel fresh and original so idk.

Haven't had a chance to watch it but my father praises the show and urges me check it out when I have the time.

Well, i never liked the show that much but

the thing that got me was the character development

don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but is not a BB level show

Unless, you like the concept, you will find yourself slogging through the seasons while liking an episode or 2

I think it’s really good, worth a watch

I never thought so I always thought it was pretty good

I dropped after ep 4, waste of time