arrow_upward
Is it easy to learn more programming languages?
I am new to programming and I have been told that once I learn my first programming language, the others should be easier to learn. I have heard this from a few people but I am not sure how true it is since some programming languages I have seen look way different than the language I am learning right now (Java). So how hard is it to learn a new programming language after you've learnt one? Is it actually a lot easier?

Too many threads about this, just look around.

Yes, once you become a programmer it's easier to learn new languages.
Doesn't mean you should do it, better be an expert in one.

Yeah it's easy to pick up the basics once you know one. If you know a couple, picking up the next feels pretty easy. Knowing in depth and becoming and expert is another story though

It's all in plain English. It's all logic, syntax is the only new nuance.

most important, do not quit halfway. Take a break and return on the learning task.

In my opinion it makes it much easier ( in comparison to learning the first language).
They can be very different however. Programming in higher level language doesn’t mean it will be simple to program in a lower level language. It depends on what languages your transitioning to. After messing around with a few, with time it is much easier.

[+] 1 user Likes Paco17b's post
Like people have been saying here, the languages are written in English and follow a logical similar syntax. Depending on the language you may need to be more explicit with memory management and process/thread management (lower level like C or Go) or just focus on core logical programming using Java or Python. Core concepts are very similar between languages and programming is 90% googling syntax anyway ?

better to focus on something and become an expert than to learn a zillion languages but yes, it's fairly easy to learn a new language once you've mastered one.

Obviously there will be languages that require a paradigm shift.

going from something like PHP to a functional language like Erlang could be a bit of a jump, but still doable.

I mean the concepts are generally the same, so I think once you master one language, its easy to expand onto others.

[+] 1 user Likes tompete's post
not that easy

Someone said be focus on one language.. And some other said you must learn a lot of language.. Well for me is learn some language and be expert in one of it, so i can be expert in one language while i can be flexsible with some language.. And its easier to learn your second, third etc language than your first language.. Just started it first