arrow_upward
Is it wrong to buy a dog instead of adopt?
I want a hyo-allergenic dog for my girlfriend's allergies, and when I mentioned on Facebook I was looking for a breeder, got a lot of shit for not adopting a dog. People were basically saying I was neglecting dogs and leaving them to die in kill shelters by not adopting one. I am not familiar with dog ownership but have never heard of shaming people for buying dogs. Is this really frowned on?

Certainly better to adopt, but buying one doesn't make you a bad person. I know plenty of people who buy dogs. Just make sure they're not from a puppy mill i guess.

I mean, it's definitely better to adopt a dog. But I don't know if I'd shame a person for buying one.

I agree with above, adopting is nice and all but isn’t always the best option. Something to consider is that adopting a dog is kinda like getting a used car, to a certain extent you’ll know what you’re getting. A new puppy? It’s a roll of the dice.

like other people have said, adopting is better but you’re not a bad person if you buy one. whatever works out better for you

Adopt if you can, but if you have legitimate reasons why you would need/want a new dog/specific breed then it makes sense.

Judging is easer than trying to understand so people choose to judge. Don't bother, if you're happy with ur puppy then that's all that matters.

I don't believe buying a dog instead of adopting is that bad. Adoption is always my option #1 , but if the current "market" doesn't suit your needs, then buying one isn't wrong in any way.

It is not, although the people that sell dogs are usually not really good people at all.

It is not wrong, if you really would want a special kind of dog just get it. But if that doesent matter then adopt all the way

The only dog I care about are Chihuahuas, what am I supposed to do if I don't find one for adoption?

Honestly, as long as you love the puppers and take care of him/her so they never end up in a position to become adopted due to not having a proper home, it doesn't matter. Give that puppers love and affection and that's all that matters!

Adopting is way better as you may get the chance to change their lives of dogs who may have gotten abandoned and neglected. Also it’s much more cheaper