arrow_upward
Is there too much movie/tv/streaming content that it weakens cultural connections?
Does anyone feel that movies and TV these days are a bit more "disposable" than usual and that it's hard to find people to connect with on them?

On a different thread about the MCU, someone mentioned an Indonesian copy of the MCU business model with "Gundala" as part of the Indonesian "Bumilangit Cinematic Universe" and it reminded me of so many times in recent years when I'll ask friends or coworkers if they have seen X (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc.) and most of the time the answer is no, and I have never seen what they're watching either.

Just a decade or two ago, you could easily name movies that people had seen and that they loved and STILL loved, and even now, a lot of "flashback" movies are typically ones from the 80s, 90s, and a bit earlier. It feels that film culture used to have "classics" and movies that people watched over and over again and recommended to family, and would be rites of passage for every new generation.

To me, now everything feels a bit more disposable. Even stuff that USED to be a phenomenon like Breaking Bad or even Game of Thrones is just no longer relevant any more, like there is so much content that the idea of rewatching something is rare.

Disney is too big for their own good, honestly.

Word. Disney is a behemoth that owns everything now, Pixar, Fox, Star Wars, Marvel. I think Disney is creatively bankrupt and should be broken up for being a creative monopoly.

Seize the means of production! Let's turn all of disney's ips public domain!

>Disney is too big for their own good, honestly.
Amen, brotha.

>Let's turn all of disney's ips public domain!
Disney's copyright on Mickey Mouse was supposed to expire in 1998, as that was the last extension of their IP. And guess what? Mickey is still copyrighted all these years later. Someone has some damn good lawyers and lots of Congress critters in their back pocket.

>Word. Disney is a behemoth that owns everything now, Pixar, Fox, Star Wars, Marvel. I think Disney is creatively bankrupt and should be broken up for being a creative monopoly.
Every single IP worth buying is being bought by the major corporations. They're intentionally letting certain companies buy all these IPs, so that our entertainment is effectively run and created by four to six companies, all of which have different "brands", which really are no different than each other. That's the real dirty secret that no one talks about and Congress does nothing about.

The huge proliferation of content has definitely contributed to the lack of cultural connection, as you put it. 30 years ago when there was only network TV and a handful of cable channels, you'd mention the latest episode of Cheers and everyone in your office or friend group had seen it. Now, aside from the latest big Netflix hit or new superhero series on Disney, there's much less a change the people you know are watching the same thing as you. Hell, I have friends who do nothing but watch YouTube videos for entertainment now; they don't even bother with shows.

Yes, it's not helped by social media either which is inherently reduced to bite-size content consumption of short videos or a single image. To me it feels like social media is the fuel upon which all of these streaming shows thrive. If you remove social media, you remove a large part of the hype cycle that keeps these shows running.