arrow_upward
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Not a huge anime fan, but I just started watching the series. Only 8 episodes in, kinda annoyed with excessive fan service, what are your thoughts?

I've stopped watching anime because of the "fan-service" so many animes bring. You're just gonna have to suck it up for NGE if you wanna watch it lol

Evangelion is great

On my watch list. Heard the series has a disappointing last season, should be really good until that atleast Smile

Id like to address a few points. Let's start with the fan service.

Like all shows, anime uses sex appeal to, for the lack of a better word, appeal to their viewers. Too bad. Its just part of the film entertainment industry.

Secondly, Evangelion is a hard anime to watch. I had to get through watching it the first time. Watching it for thr first time sucked. I dont like mecha, and the art wasnt particularily appealing. But ive heard so much about it being a masterpiece i powered through it. After learning the pain parts of the story, i did some research on the themes and such as well as really understand the timeline of what happened, what the angels were, what Nerv was, what selee was and wants. Only then, second watch was enjoyable. Third watch was eye opening and mind fucking. Forth watch im still in awe with so much packed in.

Its not an anime to watch if youre not willing to put in the time and effort to research, analyse, and understand. There are animes out there that are more easier to understand.

TL;DR Evangelion takes time to fuck your mind. If you dont have time, youll be disappointed.

Old school anime is great

I love naruto might a bit cliche but it is my favorite since i was a little kid and i still love it to this day

I haven't finished it because it seems like a wild ride I do not want to get on. Also 2deep4me.

def not my favorite, but good nevertheless

Its pretty awesome but it can be confusing you will probably have to watch the movie after in order to fully understand it, well that and read/watch explainations of it, like i did.

Eva is for sure the one!!!

Eva was one of the first animes I watched. I love mechas and at the time I didn't know it but I also loved messed up shit. And boy does Eva hit both those marks (especially the second).

I admittedly wasn't the biggest fan the firs time I watched it, and I disliked the quality of the show in the second half.

Disliked the ending. A lot.

Watched the movie, loved it but hated the ending. Again, a lot.

And then...I started looking into it more. Reading about it. What things represented, the background of the show.

I don't want to spoil or anything, but, goddamn, there is a reason why it's considered a classic. Def recommend it.

One of craziest's anime ever

I liked it. When you watch it multiple times you start to notice things you never saw before. Making you realized what was being referenced and stuff.

The original end is awful but they released a OVA with an alternate ending that should be the original end.

If you didn't like then why did you start with that