arrow_upward
Soccer question regarding Barcelona and Realmadrid
So I see so many people talking about those two teams specifically and I have no idea why. I'm not into soccer at all but I see so many people in my college talking about those teams and rather arguing about them almost all the time.

I understand that there are some problems going in Spain with Barcelona wanting to have it's own country but what's the deal with Barcelona V Realmadrid thing?

They have been the greatest teams for short and long time, from years to decades
So when they play "el clasico" its a big deal in soccer and sports in general

Its also such a big game due to Messi and Ronaldo (who left madrid)
They are often compared and there is a big debate on who is better

The ”el classico” was so huge a couple of hears ago. But i think both teams are just shadows of what they used to be.. especially barcelona.

if you like reading, i recommend checking out sid lowe's book "fear and loathing in la liga: real madrid vs barcelona". find a pdf/epub or buy it online. it's a great read about the rivalry and history.

I think both of these teams will be shadows of their former selves due to the financial impact of covid

I miss the old barcelone

Barcelona is based in catalunya and their motto "more than a club". so the club became a symbol of catalan identity, culture and language.
Franco controlled Spain for many decades, and he suppressed their identity, so barcelona in a way became the only way for catalans to express themselves. el clasico is the battle between the central power in madrid and independence of catalunya.