arrow_upward
Thoughts on more money going to sport personalities than e.g. research grants?
Some are not even actual professional boxers *cough* the Logan brothers *cough*.

Anyway, it seems like many research projects (and I guess other meaningful stuff like them) don't take off because they just don't have the funding for it.

Meanwhile sporting contracts or like the recent Mayweather vs Logan fights can be in the many millions of dollars mark.

It is what it is but like, I don't know where I stand/or really feel about this whole situation. It would be nice if research for improving QoL, health etc. could receive more funding.

What are your thoughts on this?

Entertainment keeps the masses from seeing what's going on, so those who provide the entertainment are naturally paid a whole lot more. R&D is generally not entertaining and is only paid attention to by a few people. So the R&D types get budgets and entertainers get money they're gonna waste anyways.

I think most of the world's problems regarding diseases would've been solved by now if the pay were switched

Quote:I think most of the world's problems regarding diseases would've been solved by now if the pay were switched

Who's to say that these aren't resolved yet? Are you sure about that? Pharmas are already milking the masses, look at however much they're milking from covid alone.

the things is people like flashy things and they are great marketing tool

sport is simple to follow and watch, science not so much