arrow_upward
Tyron Woodley vs. Gilbert Burns UFC 5/30
Who you guys got on this? I'm leaning Woodley.

Woodley:
(+): Woodley is crazy explosive and hits crazy hard. He often explodes forward with powerful flurries that force the opponent to retreat, but also showed a nice pull counter with his back on the cage. Darren Till pressured him back and rushed in himself, only to get more or less finished by the one counter shot. That's not to say Woodley is just a ball of explosive power a la Ngannou, he showed patience and tact in his two bouts with Wonderboy, a very technical and long striker, winning both times.
(-): In his last fight against Kamaru Usman, he looked like shit. Like he didn't even know he was supposed to be fighting that day and just showed up. He has also been criticized with taking on a more defensive and passive style since he became champion, so if Tyron gets on his bike and never pulls the trigger we may be into a snoozefest decision. 

Burns:
(+): Burns looked amazing in his recent 1st round KO victory over an aged, but still competitive, Demian Maia. Before that he looked pretty good in his UD win over Gunnar Nelson, who allegedly has good bjj and whose karate striking style influenced that of Conor McGregor. Burns is a highly credentialed bjj artist, but isn't lacking in the stand up department either. He is also riding a lot of upward momentum where as Woodley's is in the shitter.
(-): Although all his recent wins have made him look very good, they were all against "lesser" competition. None of his recent wins brought the threat of KO striking to the table, which is a very real possibility against Woodley. Moreover, his last loss was by KO to Dan Hooker, a well known striker.

Overall, I think Woodley will come back and win. He's been out for a while, and while he's been a bit of a bitch (making excuses, whining that people don't respect him, releasing dumpster fire mixtapes) during his off time, I think he knows that a loss to Burns will really push the chance of regaining the belt out of reach. I just can't put my full support behind Burns simply because I think Woodley is a major step up in competition and risk of getting knocked out.

as much as i dislike tw as a character i think he get's this one done - i agree burns has looked good at welterweight but as DC once said - there are levels to this game. I hope we'll find out whether woodley's performance against usman was the result of him getting old or if it was just a bad night at the office

Woodly had one bad fight but go back and check his record. He is still one of the best welterweights to ever do it. GSP is the GOAT though in my opinion

Wonder if Woodly will ever be the same.. He's been looking awfull