arrow_upward
What are things to look out for when looking to purchase CPUs and memory?
I'm looking to build a PC and im unsure of what I should be looking at when comparing products? Like, what is core/ thread count and their significance towards different applications like rendering, gaming, or editing. Also can anyone explain RAM timings to me?

If you're gaming = clock speed (GHz) is more important than cores imo. Depending on your budget a 6-8 core should suffice.

If you're rendering and editing = core count matters more. 8-12 core should be good if your budget allows.

Right now the AMD RYZEN 3700x is a pretty good buy

Agree with Throw, im on Ryzen 5 3600 and I run games like cold war on highest settings with an rtx 2060. When you pick your cpu type (intel or amd) you need to make sure your motherboard socket matches the type of cpu you buy. Your ram speed should be supported by both. I would recommend using an online too like [pc part picker] to help guide you through the build and make sure you get everything you need and that theyre compatible. Keep in mind part picker is not the best at detecting prices sometimes and youll have to search the minimum required power supply for each part to make sure you get the right wattage, and not just rely on part picker's estimates in that regard.