arrow_upward
When is an NVMe drive useful?
I've owned an SSD with Windows for years now, and the boot-up speed is phenomenal. I know NVMes are even faster, but is there any practical reason to upgrade? Like, what other speed advantages would it offer beyond starting up even faster?

Server computers. If you work with videos, transferring videos and large files are much faster without a bottleneck. Also if its a custom pc, it says on build size and wires. It just inserts into your motherboard rather than having to connect a sata cable to a 2.5 or even worse 3.5 that you try to hide.

Really all the time they're just so much more fast and reliable even for an average user its an upgrade you'll notice right away

I use it with an AMD CPU and with the irght mainboard the NVME is direct connected with 4 PCI lanes to the CPU.
Only my BIOS needs time to start, this think is 10 times faster than my normal SSD. 

So if you want to go fast go NVME fast, best idea for a quick booting PC.

i have upgraded from sata ssd to nvme , it does not change a thing for desktop usage.
if your ssd is still healthy ( you should check with your vendor ssd tools ), you are ok
my old ssd was showing degradation on the ssd tools , so i just grabbed an nvme as a replacement.
but if you drive is working fine, the only reason i can see to upgrade, is if you need more space.

If you're gonna upgrade your SSD then sure, i'd invest in nvme, but if it's still good working then stick with it.

NVMe for copying big files often. For everything else SATA is fine.