arrow_upward
Win 10 Upgrades still being doled out by MS
Morning all,

New here. Didn't want to put this in an area dedicated to software as it's more of a tip than anything else.

Sure, most of you are already on 10, and those that are still on 7 are probably doing so intentionally. 

Still, 7 went out of support a couple days ago and there might be some of you who would take a free upgrade, and assuming youve got enough disk space and a system capable of UEFI boot this should do the trick.

1. Go to the 

Win 10 Upgrades still being doled out by MS.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on Win 10 Upgrades still being doled out by MS.
    Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
     and get the media creation tool
  2. Run the package and choose 'upgrade now' (you also can create removable media to wipe and reimage, just need a USB stick)
  3. proceed through the process/prompts
  4. when it's all done, load up the metro settings (not classic control panel) and check out Update & Security > Activation to confirm you've been given a digital license
  5. it should be noted that using the media creation tool gives you sources win10 home, pro, and some of the regional variants, but not Ent or IoT (formerly embedded).

Drop me a line if you need any assistance with this. I wager some of you (like myself) are running a modified version of win10 already that didn't require a licsense, but I still went through this process myself on a device I purchased for work that I wanted to keep 100% legitimate. 

Chuck

Thank you man!

just so you know, MS is doing this because they released the last update for 7 last tuesday so you should really update because they won't patch bugs and vulnerabilities anymore

Fifended Wrote:just so you know, MS is doing this because they released the last update for 7 last tuesday so you should really update because they won't patch bugs and vulnerabilities anymore

Well they first started offering free upgrades for Win7 users in 2015 and said it would only be available for a year. Then in mid 2016 they noticed nobody was taking it because many users were having some serious issues with the upgrade. They announced they were extending it by another 6 for a total of 18 months, but it continues to be available afterwards.

I'm confident they will continue to patch vulnerabilities in Win7. Between 2017 and 2019 MS released patches for out of support OSes (XP/Server2003) for RDS and SMB vulnerabilities despite these OSes being 'out of support' for years. 

It depends on how many users are still on Win7 when the next big malware/exploit arrives, they'll only do it if they're worried about bad press.

well shoot that is very considerate of you, thanks!