arrow_upward
Youtube v School for coding
In yall's personal experience, do you think learning on your own via free resources like youtube is more effective than going to college from programming?

Going to college requires that you follow their degree plan regarding coursework. With Youtube etc., you can choose what topics you want to learn yourself.

However, colleges often offer TA and professor help if you need it and I know a lot of people rely on that.

[+] 1 user Likes big men's post
I think the middle ground of services like Code Academy would help you. Pay less that college but you get the same quality of content. But you also get to choose what you learn like on youtube.

If you're good at self-motivating, etc, then online; when I say online, I'm scaling out of Youtube and going into programming forums, help groups, etc. If you need a strict regime to follow, then school.

JewTube plus pirated Udemy is the way to go If you can get a job off of that, then you're ages ahead of everyone. If not, then once you're able to put together a Github, and have examples of stuff you've written, then hit school, so it doesn't completely kick your ass. Most guys I knew from programming classes already knew the language, they were just in it to get the necessary credits.

Depends at which level you are learning to code, i can only speak from my experience, which was learning to code at school from 14-18 was pretty poor. I think most comp sci teachers just rely on the curriculum rather than actually teaching you how to be a proficient coder. You will learn how to code (badly), be taught how to use a stack (badly), using pseudo code (badly), things like that however for you to actually learn youll need other external resources, even invest in some reputable courses, leetcode, youtube, github, things like that

Youtube defo requires a lot of self discipline and doesn't really teach the theoretical parts imo

what I think is actually both if them are important. school plays a role in knowing what stuffs you are good at. It also helps at team working

Youtube for more detailed topics.
School for teamwork.

You need to be really motivated for self learning stuff. It's easy to get distracted. School keeps you on track. You also get some exposure to teamwork and group settings like others have said.

school, you need someone to guide you

Bunch of free courses and programs online to start yourself out. Make sure it's something you're interested in. Then if you feel like you need it, can always sign up for college later.

It's not for everyone, some people like institutions.