arrow_upward
wireless external storage
i'm not sure if this is practical, but I was looking into potentially getting a wireless external storage device. I don't really need it but i'm tired of constantly having to get flash drives, and I don't really want to deal with plugging in hard drives/ssds whenever i want to search for something

i was just wondering if anyone had had experience with this, or if you thought this was even a practical option. i haven't done a ton of research or anything, but i would be worried about something like a power surge (even with the correct protection) just straight up taking out all my data, so i've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger

[+] 1 user Likes maxofthemadd's post
I didnt even know there is such thing thanks. Seems a bit gimmick, I just keep external TB hard drives around and plug them in, or keep plugged in until i need to take it somewhere. Need to check out

do you have hard drives or SSDs? i'm worried about hard drives just randomly giving out, but i know that's not something i should be worried about

sounds like you're describing networked storage, which might essentially just be uploading your backups via wifi to a drive. have you also considered cloud storage? much less hassle, but a lot more implications, like the service going under or hosting morally-ambiguous data.

Personally, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "wireless external storage". I agree with the fella above me. Your best bet to get this is by having a network attached file server. It can be a fun project to DIY, especially if you're a nerd into networking. However, if you don't want to get into that stuff they sell "premade" file servers where you can go ahead and use the drives you want and simply plug it right into your router. You can find them on Amazon if you search up "NAS Client".