arrow_upward
$100,000,000 Russian Roulette
An immensely rich man comes to you and proposes a deal. You are given a revolver with 6 chambers, and 1 bullet. If you put it to your head, pull the trigger, and survive, you will be given 100 million dollars. However, there is a 1/6 chance that you die on the spot- that's it, everything disappears, infinite blackness. Do you take the deal?

If yes, would you take it with 2 bullets? 3? Where's your limit?

If no, would you take it for a 1/20 chance of death? 1/100? What's the highest chance you'd accept?

It's just a thought experiment so assume the man is perfectly honest, no tricks, it's not a rigged gun or anything.

[+] 1 user Likes Pharoah_Man's post
Obviously easy to say one thing, but when the situation is actually in front of you, doing something completely different. But for 100 million. I'd say the lowest I'd probably do it for would be like 1/10 - 1/15 maybe

Yeah, I might say something similar. I don't think I'd do it for 1/6. I think the trouble with this is that actually, beyond a certain level, I don't think more money improves your quality of life that much. I think if you're in heavy poverty, getting out of it makes your life much better, but going from 'comfortable' to 'immensely rich' probably doesn't improve your life that much once you get used to it- you'll enjoy it for a few years, then it'll just become the new normal for you and you'll go back to your hedonic set point. 
I suppose the counterargument would be that you could save thousands of lives with $100,000,000, so you have a moral obligation to accept even at 1/6 and give it to charity. But I don't think that sort of thing would sway me if I was actually looking down the barrel of a gun- like you said, it's easy to talk about it when you're not staring death in the face.

Quote:If no, would you take it for a 1/20 chance of death? 1/100? What's the highest chance you'd accept?

The illusion of choice is cute, it should be 1/6 or you basically walk away from potential death, and potential 100M. It really depends on the person, if it's a happy person, money wouldn't mean a damn thing, but the obvious part would be that most people will eventually take it.

yeah I'd do it. people take dangerous jobs for 0.0001 the money

Nope, my life sux but I woulnt take the risk

I’d do it must I would go up to is 3 as 50/50 is worth the risk.

i mean its a win win situation

[+] 1 user Likes Someone Eating's post
@up exactly XD I wouldn't hesitate, only if he didnt had the money I would shot him xD