arrow_upward
[ASK] Professional/Intermediate 3D Artists here (if any), Maya or Blender?
I've been using Maya for years now and I've barely even tried Blender cause I found the UI pretty much confusing as heck. But my license for Maya is only educational and would expire once I'm done with school. I'm thinking now that I'm pretty much got the gist of Maya and 3D modeling that I should go for something that wouldn't cost me around 50USD and is practically free. I can afford Maya but I'm not sure which software is more versatile and if I should opt for either of the two.

Can I get your guys' take on this? Pros and Cons maybe?

Blender user here, i've been using it for quite a long time and yes it is not deniable that the UI pre 2.8 is horrid. But since 2.8+ released with a more organized UI and upgraded User Experience.

Right now Blender is running up to kick maya in the bottom with all their new functions coming for free, plus a vast range of addons. Also the in-depth PBR viewport is amazing. With Blender you have the ability to do many amazing thing for free without too much worries abt license.

But maya is still the workhorse in the industry due to many aspects. Mostly due to license & reputation on the market. Big studio prefer closed source software to protect their files, with Blender everyone know everything. Also Maya has carved their name into studios' mind and many artists around the world. Meaning that the people has developed a standard pipeline with Maya, so many companies wouldnt want to spend lotta time to update their workflow to Blender. It costs them more too, if they decided to hire trainers.

But many start up or small studios are using Blender now so there might be a chance that Blender will make it way into AAA pipeline.

[+] 2 users Like Nguyễn Hà's post
Nguyễn Hà Wrote:Blender user here, i've been using it for quite a long time and yes it is not deniable that the UI pre 2.8 is horrid. But since 2.8+ released with a more organized UI and upgraded User Experience.

Right now Blender is running up to kick maya in the bottom with all their new functions coming for free, plus a vast range of addons. Also the in-depth PBR viewport is amazing. With Blender you have the ability to do many amazing thing for free without too much worries abt license.

But maya is still the workhorse in the industry due to many aspects. Mostly due to license & reputation on the market. Big studio prefer closed source software to protect their files, with Blender everyone know everything. Also Maya has carved their name into studios' mind and many artists around the world. Meaning that the people has developed a standard pipeline with Maya, so many companies wouldnt want to spend lotta time to update their workflow to Blender. It costs them more too, if they decided to hire trainers.

But many start up or small studios are using Blender now so there might be a chance that Blender will make it way into AAA pipeline.

Well damn, that actually sounds awesome. Blender upping their game for the road to AAA comes to our benefit. Hoping knowledge and experience in using Blender looks as equally as good on the resume as much as having them in Maya. Also, thanks for the heads up on the post-2.8 UI, I'll give it a try as soon as I am able.

Appreciate your input, brother.