arrow_upward
American Rescue Plan
What do you think of the new bill that is set to pas Congress? Minimum wage bump got stripped out but there’s a ton of money for families and businesses to help folks get through the pandemic. The more I read about it, the more amazed about how expansive and impactful it is. Unlike previous stimuli, this one really is focused on middle class and lower income people.

Hellohello

well the economy needs to move, and i agree that some compromise should be made, but the gov should bear with the costs. i mean, thats why i pay taxes, so that it helps me when things go bad. looking for gov benefits shouldnt be looked as handouts, but as a gov responsability. i think that the bill falls short, is a good start but it could be better

In most cases the better something sounds especially when passed by congress the more negative effect it is going to have, this is just like every other piece of Federal assistance it's nothing more than a rolling stop gap, that only continues to have more dire consequences for those it claims to be assisting later down the line

As long as the American people use the stimulus money to actually buy stuff and stimulate the economy, not bury it away in a savings account that won’t be touched in decades, then I think the bill would do a decent job in jumpstarting the consumer economy.

Jesse Dollemore did a good video about this recently that I think explains it better than I can, but I'll do my best: it's good to stimulate the economy, and the relative harm being caused by the government acting to do so in this case is far outweighed by the benefit. Honestly, the thing choking out the economy right now are the people insisting on hoarding their spending power rather than using it, especially when they funnel it out of the country to a tax haven. I'm not talking about wealth, you can't "spend" a theoretical ownership of a company you created, I'm talking about liquid assets, like cash and other forms of money. I highly doubt anyone who fits within the earning restrictions on getting help through the bill is going to save it, at least many of them, and transactions are literally what makes our economy healthy. More money in the hands of people who need to buy things, like food and shelter and such, the better. Every time we give more money to people who have no incentive to actually spend but rather invest in shit that doesn't actually affect the economy positively, we are basically shooting ourselves in the foot. But we'll see, I'm sure it'll get misused and messed up, but hopefully it ends up being a net benefit.

love my stimmy