arrow_upward
Anyone think political parties divide people?
I'm not into politics, but about half my family doesn't talk to the other because one is conservative and the other is liberal.

In public, they're there to divide us. In private, they're the same party, just used to divide us. And they laugh at us for it.

[+] 1 user Likes olichan12's post
I think George Washington summed it up best. During his presidency, he witnessed the rise of the Democratic-Republican party (led by Jefferson) in opposition to Alexander Hamilton's Federalists and worried that future political squabbles would undermine the concept of popular sovereignty in the United States.

In his farewell address, given on September 17, 1796, he said:

Quote:"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

He also made the case that "the alternate domination" of one party over another and coinciding efforts to exact revenge upon their opponents have led to horrible atrocities, and "is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism." From Washington's perspective and judgment, political parties eventually and "gradually incline the minds of men to seek security… in the absolute power of an individual", leading to despotism. He acknowledges the fact that parties are sometimes beneficial in promoting liberty in monarchies, but he argues that political parties must be restrained in a popularly elected government because of their tendency to distract the government from their duties, create unfounded jealousies among groups and regions, raise false alarms among the people, promote riots and insurrection, and provide foreign nations and interests access to the government where they can impose their will upon the country.

[+] 1 user Likes harrytheheir's post
Yes ofcourse , i mostly think they do it intentionally inorder to gain supporter and their winning would be easy compared to a part without any ideology.

Mature parties are necessary, but only in a strong democracy.
In weak democracies, parties rarely stand for anything.

I guess people need to focus more on issues, rather than party affiliation, so they're not divided.
Also the US needs more parties for a more diverse set of views and stances rather than just left or right.

Quote: Alexander Hamilton's Federalists
I still find it funny that he was a Federalist, considering his opinions on having a central bank.

Yes, I think it’s like Franz Kafka said: ‘1 idiot is one idiot, 2 idiots are 2 idiots, 1000 idiots are called a political party’. People do care about your political views and it can sometimes start wars.

They are pretty inherently decisive imo.

I hate how much some people identify as their political beliefs or even religion

political parties truly fucked over america it's crazy how one sided people can be

Yes, but it's definitely American culture that makes it more dividing.