arrow_upward
Are functional programming languages still viable
Learned some functional programming languages in College and was wondering if people in the industry even still use them. or if it's only for school.

pure or impure?

I'm planning on learning Haskell myself when I get a chance.

I'd recommend watching this talk on youtube:
"GOTO 2018 • Functional Programming in 40 Minutes • Russ Olsen"
One of the main points of the talk is actually how functional programming is only going to grow and become more widely used in the future.
I believe it, especially since massive projects like Cardano (one of the largest cryptocurrencies) use Haskell to benefit from its mathematically provable nature.

Currently as I understand it, knowing a functional programming language to an expert level does give you a leg up in the CS job market for those companies whose code bases use (or can benefit from using) functional programming, as everyone and there mothers knows Javascript, Python, C#, C++, etc. But functional coders are much more rare.

Thanks for the response. I did like Functional programming when I learned it but haven't seen much use in the industry and was just wondering if it was worth continuing coz it was pretty fun. I'll give Haskell a try some time.

If this thread is still active I would like to add to this - functional languages are often used in academic environments. Especialy by mathematicians :p

They are used outside of academics as well, there some tasks which are easier to write in functional languages than in imperative. The .NET framework has F# for example, and paket (alternative to nuget package manager) is written fully in F#.