arrow_upward
Are media portrayals of the dark web accurate?
There are many memes/documentaries/stigmas that the dark web is where hackers, hitmen, and terrorist go. Is that blown out of proportion? What really goes down in the deep dark web?

Not really, to a degree, EVERYONE uses the internet including those types of people, but it's not like there's a craigslist for the dark web that you can just google search. It's a lot of link from one site to another, to another, hidden URLs, hidden messages, some people use code hidden in seemingly normal sites, some of it is knowing people who already know the way to access certain places. Some of the 'dark web' is blatantly in front of people, like the rumor lately about how furniture was listed on a site, for quite a high price, that had code words as 'item labels' that if you searched would lead you to pictures of young girls. Sometimes stuff like that leaks out of the deep dark web, but remember that there's much worse shit the further down you go, and I don't recommend it, because hackers and hitmen are easy to stomach, people hiring rapists/people to maim and torture others is less.

its not rly displayed in movies much is it?

You can likely see or get into some incredibly shady stuff if you look for it, I imagine you can do that on the plain web also.

So many people in my line of work think the dark web is an actual place or website you just go to do shady shit. Kinda hilarious honestly.

Yes and no. There's some shady stuff on there but its just a decentralized system

Not really for example younreally cant stream video on it

I think there's even a lot of variation about what's depicted by the media. It can be much more disturbing if you're seeking that kind of content but a few pieces don't define the whole by any means.