arrow_upward
Being black in South Korea
I am planning a vacation to South Korea, so I'm doing finding on how black people are being passive in  South Korea, although all what I have seen is not promising. I need a very honest opinion on racial discrimination in south Korea and whether it's okay to embark on the vacation

You're asking the wrong board for this info, anon. If how the Chinese view blacks is any indicator of how South Koreans view blacks, then it's not very good. You need to spend some time googling and finding out.

What the above post said. I haven’t heard anything outright that would make me reconsider but I have heard there is quite a bit of discrimination and bias when it comes to other races not just black people

You have to do some deeper digging, from what Ive heard asian people generally are opening up more.
So racism is not as rampant as it was 20years ago. I think there are some interviews on youtube, about how being black in South Korea affected their lives.

Good luck Smile

Bruh.

Asians typically hate blacks, but it shouldn't deter you from going. Just go, you'll have a blast.

Just don't act like the typical American black. That's what Asians really hate about blacks.

What do you fear about racism in Korea?
If by racism you mean that random Koreans throwing slurs at you, that's normal in any Asian counties but that's very rare nonetheless.

I had an roommate (white guy) who lived in South Korea for a few years teaching englsh. Based on what he said, they're pretty racist against really anyone who isnt korean. He said it was fine for the most part but the big issue he had was when it came to dating and how the local guys really really really hated foreginers dating korean girls.

I'm Korean living in Seoul. Yes there are certainly discriminations against foreigners except for white.(For white guys, any virgin loser can be casanova because Koreans dig looks of white) Of course people aren't going to curse at you or anything. Mainly they would try to make distance from you. Since it's covid era they would do so more. And because there are very few foreigners here I think there's perception that black people are violent so many of them would avoid contect. For example Many of clubs don't allow black people. But there's certain area in Seoul called 'Itaewon' where many of young foreigners and local Koreans hang out. Younger generations are more open to other races now days but it's way less than western regions.

If you are just planning to come for short vacation, you would be fine and could have great time. But I definitely recommand you to bring company with you. Locals usually avoid hanging out with foreigners expecially if you are the only one. People here are very cautious. That's why I recommand Itaewon. It's more open minded there.

[+] 1 user Likes poiu52's post
Thanks for the post, poiu52. That makes things clearer for me.

Korean people are racist be careful

never been but i think vacation is doable, esp tourist trap type places...i think you can find some grls who want to know if the rumors are true

Are they nice to you if youre a turist then? In japan its hard to get acknowledged, but as a tourist its okey