arrow_upward
Curious about understanding basics of machine learning
Was interested in learning more about machine learning, how much math would you need to grasp the basics?

I think there's a free entry level course on coursera that doesn't require a lot of math. The book Introduction to Machine Learning with Python: A Guide for Data Scientists doesn't need a lot of math either. I got it on an old humble bundle.

You'll need a handle on statistics, I love the book ISLR for this. It's free too online

Read ISLR, it's got most of everything you need for the basics

You can get a lot of help nowadays when using frameworks, such as Keras. However, it is good to know the math in order to understand how things work. Would recommend taking a (online) course in linear algebra and statistics.

For applied black-box machine learning, you need statistics (sampling, populations, and so on).
To understand deeper about the algorithms, you need probability and linear algebra, and multivariable calculus.

I'm taking artifical intelligence at uni right now - i've only ever completed basic calculus courses and a handful on propositional logic
you can definitely skip alot of the background knowledge with some of the publicly available frameworks, but if you start getting bugs its alot harder to understand whats going wrong