arrow_upward
Do you believe in "future proofing"
I personally always built computers so that it doesn't go immediately obsolete but fits the current needs. Do you think there is such a thing as future proofing a build?

I dont think theres ever a build 100% "future proof". Its more like creating a bigger window until your next build. Building with newer parts will always hold out longer.

I also dont think you can build anything thatll immediately be obsolete unless thats your goal, ebay-only build or htpc or something like that. Ie a gtx 970 still hold up well in a lot of games and even though theyre projecting the end of 4gb gpus in a few years its not like you can get a NEW gtx 970.

[+] 1 user Likes xtk29339's post
Oh yes, totally. Hardware improvements are becoming less over time so we will defeinitely hit that point. Although I guess it will take a while. Furthermore, depending on your use case, some programs make sure to support lower end hardware so you are never 100% unable to do what you want. Actually, I guess this is another important point, what is it exactly that you want to do?

Its more like creating a bigger window until your next build. Building with newer parts will always hold out longer.

yea it depends what you're doing. if you're talking gaming, it's probably easier right now as system requirements aren't skyrocketing as fast as they were let's say 10 years ago

I used to try but there’s such a premium on buying the latest that it’s really hard to future proof perfectly

I'd believe in future proofing only if time stopped.

I find it a silly idea seeing as you can upgrade components in a piecemeal fashion as they become obsolete. I'd say the most important consideration is to get a good dollar/GB for ram, vram, etc and have a good build value versus the most cutting edge one.