arrow_upward
Do you believe younger generations are having and dealing with more stress?
Even though that subject makes me sound like I'm a boomer, I'm young.
Over time now, lots of issues younger people are facing now seem a lot different then what older generations had to deal with. A big problem now is the wage gap, and other societal issues including money. Honestly it sucks that we have to watch other people who have not faced struggles and issues that many people face choose the reality we have. I think that college students, and high-school students are a lot more stressed than they should because so much information is dumped on to them in a little bit of time. But anyway, how do you guys feel? Stressed? Anxious? How or why do you guys think this generation is more stressed out

[+] 1 user Likes James Guabber's post
I'm out of my college years, but to be honest, there are a lot of ways in which younger Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z are facing a lot of stress that hasn't been faced before. That being said, stress and stressors are relative. There are challenges our parents and grandparents faced that we'll never fully understand, thank goodness, but at the same time the challenges we're facing are not always understandable to them. Information overload, the increased stress of finances and the economy after decades of trickle-down policies that didn't work, and the effects of social media are not only problems, but there have been a lot, and I mean a lot, of psychological research done showing they're ridiculously stressful. And that was all before the once-in-a-hundred-years healthcare/economic/social/political circus we faced last year. No matter what side you consider yourself on, last year sucked, and to be honest it's not really going to be over for a hot minute.

So yeah, are we and those younger than us dealing with a lot of stress? Definitely. No doubt about it. There's a lot of evidence showing it's having a significantly higher effect on us than the stressors previous generations had to deal with had on them, too, so the claim that "younger generations are having and dealing with more stress" has significant merit. That being said, we don't have a monopoly on it, and if there's one thing we as a species have proven, it's that we can deal with seemingly impossible situations and somehow turn it to our benefit. Just gotta hope we somehow learn to make it so that Gen Alpha or Gen Beta don't have to face it like we do, you know? Leave the world a better place than we found it.

Regardless, if you feel like you're really stressed, you're really stressed, even if you don't feel like you have the right "reasons" for it. Psychologically speaking, it's about comparing it to other experiences you had, not an objective measure, so it's okay to feel stressed and anxious, and admit that you feel stressed an anxious. These days I would recommend seeking out a therapist to literally anyone who can reasonably afford to see one, it just helps you process. Don't need to have a real problem to go there, IMO. Might help you deal with all the stress going forward anyway. Because the vast majority of us are stressed.

Yes I agree that they are

For sure dude, when I was in school 5 years ago I would struggle to keep up with my work , but the shitty school system wasn't built for me. I was falling behind and started worrying about my future and fell into a small depression for a couple years, and since have recovered thankfully. I can't believe the amount of stress students are getting right now with the pandemic with built up pressure on work, atleast over here in the UK.

yes, social media is frying their brains, having the illusion that everyone has a nice life really stresses you out

Absolutely. But, mostly for all the reasons Runescaper mentioned.
If I may add another thing : look at the number of people trying to get money out of the traditional system of salaries : OF, Manyvids, NFT, Housing (flipping to resell), stocks, etc.
It's nuts to see how we all see, in plain sight, that the model our parents/grandparents grew up on is just failing on us, yet, we don't do much about it.

I think that people are being inundated with information and don't have a great way to process it all. This information overload potentially allows for greater access to growth and equity, but it also creates a much longer ladder to climb to achieve a feeling of success. Before the internet, it was quite common for people in small towns to grow up there, marry there, and settle there. It wasn't seen as a sort of "failure to progress/evolve."

As many said, with social media able to drive public opinion so strongly, it certainly allows for access to more stressful situations.

People are doing fine (mostly) but social media makes you feel like if you are not a millionaire, you are a failure Big Grin 
On top of that, social media gives you the platform to complain, which gives these complainers attention (i.e. likes), which makes them complain even more and creates a vicious cycle.
I am going to sound like a boomer but sometimes you just gotta shut the hell up and get shit done instead of complaining.
I think a lot of people in my generation is missing that grit.