arrow_upward
Does Valve own a patent or something in FPS CS style games?
I know there are things like valorant and rogue company now, but they always have some extra feature or gameplay to not be like CS, and I wonder why no one has attempted a modern version of simple TDM and Bomb Planting with money management?

I guess because if they did it would just seem like copying and the comparisons would always be there especially if their game was worse

CS just isn't as popular anymore. Quake was another big one. Things changed. We started to get games like Battlefield which had large maps, Halo was epic. Then CoD became the next hot thing, so other games tried to emulate that. And well, companies started to see how profitable that was. TF2 went f2p and opened up shop for making money with cosmetics and then it happened to CS: GO too. Now it's mainly battle royale stuff. People just want to jump into a quick match, get some kills or get killed, then hop in the next match. It's hard for multiplayer games to hold a person's attention because the market is saturated with a lot of things.

Not to say that there isn't a market for tactical shooters anymore, but the market has just changed.

Companies probably just wanna upgrade or expand on that classic CS formula