arrow_upward
Dororo (2019) Review Becasue I'm Bored
This is my first review for 2019 and I'm going to do it with justice!
----
Story- The anime's story is based on a manga that has just had its fiftieth anniversary, and is about a traveling swordsman who is on a journey to get back his body parts that were taken from him by demons. Along the way that same character becomes friends with a young boy thief named Dororo. What's really cool about this series for me though is how the plot is sort of similiar to Berserk's in a way. I think the original series has been a good influence on the anime/manga industry, like with Devilman.
----
Animation- The animation for the most part has been pretty good, even more so during Hyakkimaru's fight scenes with the demons. The character designs have a gorgeous and clean look to them, which makes them look sort of different from the manga designs. Which I think is for the best, since any reboot should feel new and updated.
----
Sound- The OSTs for the show have been done pretty well, fitting the feudal era Japan atmospere the way it should. From the battle high from Hyakkimaru's fights to the sad somber tone during a character backstory.
----
Characters- The anime has done a good job of revamping the characters and developing them even more compared to the manga, such as the Doctor who took care of Hyakkimaru when he had his body parts taken away from him when he was just a baby. And he's just one example compared to other characters who feel just as good.
----
Overall- I have felt pretty good about the anime adaption so far, and its only at twenty episodes right now, with twenty-four being the total for the series. I will admit, it does have a slow start, but the story doesn't take long to build up. I also found it interesting that Hyakkimaru starts off as a silent protagonist, which isn't something you see in a lot of anime. And Hyakkimaru fights all sorts of demons in the series, which adds some variety to the fights. Dororo is simple and strong in its plot, which is exactly what I want in an anime.

9/10 story
9/10 animation
8/10 sound
9/10 characters
9/10 overall