arrow_upward
Fantasy Fiction Recommendations?
Hey everyone! Do you have any fantasy book recommendations? I recently read through A Song of Ice and Fire and really loved the genre. Anything out there I shouldn't miss?

not fantasy in the "traditional"sense, but I really enjoyed athe full discworld series from Terry Pratchett

I love Terry Pratchett! Recently I read "Good Omens" and enjoy that very much. I thought the TV show did a decent job at adapting it (probably because Neil Gaiman was heavily involved).

Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Second that, Dark Tower series is amazing

The Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman is pretty good. It's modern day fantasy with angels, vampires, trolls, and such. The setting is NY.

Anything by Brandon Sanderson would be good to read

[+] 1 user Likes Michael Cluff's post
The Wandering Inn

If you're a fan of Japanese stuff I've had a lot of fun with Goblin Slayer. As long as you don't mind a bit of dark tones I think they're a very good read. Though it's not really an epic story, so if you want one like that I'd have to recommend Prince of Thorns.

I'd recommend Dune, technically it's science fantasy but it's one of the greats and really paved the way for novels like ASOIAF

agree diskworld is great

drizzt series is nice

Raymond E. Feist (high fantasy?)
Patrick Rothfuss (books 1 & 2 are fantastic but book 3 is taking forever!)
Brent Weeks - Night Angel trilogy
Weis & Hickman Dragonlance Chronicles
Jim Butcher - Dresden Files (wizard in modern day Chicago)
Kevin Hearn - Iron Druid (druid in modern day US)
Peter V Brett - Warded Man series

[+] 1 user Likes gamebadd's post
You have a lot to work with mate. I'll post some stuff for you.

The Dark Elf Trilogy (High Fantasy) - Basically a story about how one of the more popular characters in a D&D Setting got started. A very good read and its good for someone who isn't that versed in high fantasy to start with. A lot of stuff about the dark elves and their life underground.

Lord of the Rings (High Fantasy) - I'm sure you know this one. This is the grand daddy of all fantasy. Basically started the modern day fantasy genre.

Brave Story (Typical Fantasy) - A unique story about a boy going into another world. I just picked this up and so far I'm enjoying it. I haven't gotten very far, but it seems there is a manga / comic based off of it as well.

The Ranger's Apprentice (Medieval Fantasy) - This is a young adults novel but I still found it enjoyable. Tells the story about a young boy being trained as a ranger from a young age.

A game of throne is medieval fantasy, but also very dark for all its death, war, and character development.  Usually this means low magic and high on the medieval setting.

There are many different kinds of fantasy out there as well (steampunk, medieval, historical, wuxia, etc)  You got things like the chronicles of Narnia, Mother Goose, and other stories that all fall in the fantasy genre.

I did some searching and found a bunch of lists on goodreads you can use:

RE: Fantasy Fiction Recommendations?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Fantasy Fiction Recommendations?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.

here is a much larger list. If you want to branch off from the medieval fantasy setting into any others.

RE: Fantasy Fiction Recommendations?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Fantasy Fiction Recommendations?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.

There are a lot of good fantasy books from other languages that get translated. The Wuxiaword website has a lot of really good fantasy stories that I really enjoy that are free

I recommend the magician's apprentice.

Ok, big thx to you, man

My suggestions are a few different ones, see if you like what different authors can do with fantasy:

- RECOMMEND: Spider's War (Daniel Abraham): 5 parter. Fantasy world that's not strictly based on the usual elves/dwarves etc races. There's dragons, there's wars, trading shenanigans and propaganda. It's surprisingly relevant to current affairs in the themes it explores. Same author, Long Price Quartet is good also, but it's more focused on a few core characters, not so much big country war stuff.

- RECOMMEND: Broken Empire trilogy (Mark Lawrence): You want dark gritty fantasy, go for this guy. Main character is ruthless. Actually anything by this author is good.

- Discworld (Terry Prachett): basically 1 big world and a few diff series set in the same world, sometimes the characters meet. Mainly comedy but there's always darker undertones. The Watchmen ones are have the most serious undertones. If you want a one-off novel just to try it out, I recommend Small Gods.

- Mistborn trilogy (Brandon Sanderson): this guy writes the equivalent of Hollywood action blockbusters (in a good way). Mistborn trilogy a good starting point, nicely contained. People take a hit of metal powder to do fancy stuff. Or if you want YA, Recknoners trilogy: it's a world where people have powers. But there are no superheroes, only supervillans.

- Powder Mage trilogy (Brian McClellen): good action similar to Sanderson. This one is flintlock fantasy (guns and magic).

- Echoes of the Fall trilogy (Adrian Tchaikovsky): it's a world where everyone can transform into an animal, according to their tribe's totem. Most fantasy is based on medieval Europe: this one is split between hunter-gatherer tribes and Egyptian civilization.

- Dragaera, Vlad Taltos novels (Steven Brust): fantasy world, dude is an assassin for hire, with his own agency and all that. A bit similar vibes to Dresden files.

- Craft Sequence books (Max Gladstone): Still ongoing, one of those different storylines but set in the same world kinda thing. It's urban fantasy, but while normally that means "Modern day, add werewolves/vampires etc), this one is "fantasy world, progressed to modern day". Not a comedy series, but it has the fantastic joke that every single lawyer and country ruler is an undead necromancer. If you're curious but not sure, at least try the first 2 books.

Sorry: first recommendation, Dagger and Coin is the name of the series (Spider's War is the last book).

Also, if anyone knows how to edit posts, let me know please.

Thanks for the research,

Feist is good, and Eddings also for younger readers or getting started.

Definitely the first law trilogy