arrow_upward
Favourite horror books?
Not a fan of horror movies nowadays because most just rely on cheap jump scares IMHO. Not to be pretentious but i feel like scares through jumpscares are like laughs through tickles, its a cheap shot. Books are forced to build a slow tension. For me, its Danielewski's House of Leaves. Any other favourites that build suspense slowly and have earned a place on your shelf?

[+] 2 users Like 6d69737461's post
Not a fan of horror movies

The best horror movies is "it chapte one" and "silent hill"

dracula for me !

[+] 1 user Likes mistori01's post
Harry Potter series.

Harry Potter did many things right. The world building was fun. Like the Bible, (that's right, directly to comparing HP to the Bible) it created a world that could very well exist in real life, but even if it did, we'd never have a way to prove it. That's Urban Fantasy done right. There could actually be a fantastical Wizarding World right under our noses, and the foundation of that world is keeping us muggles from discovering it, or remembering it if we happened to find out.

Even as an adult, reading the first book which was written for 11 year olds, I barely feel like I'm being talked down too, if at all. (even without understanding that I am over two decades beyond the target age) It's written simply, but not stupidly. Lots of children's books come off as if they're explaining something to someone who is stupid, instead of someone who is just young and still learning a lot of basic things. There's an important difference, and it's a very difficult line to ride.

Harry is a great every-man character. He allows pretty much anyone to project themselves onto him, while not feeling like a completely blank-slate. He still has a strong personality and feels like his own person, without ever alienating the reader. Despite the hardships, the reader want's to be Harry. (generally speaking of course)

Sure the books have their flaws, there are some awful plot devices, time travel was introduced, but then 'welp, we shouldn't do that again!' But they're so much fun, and the adventure is so varied, and well paced, that it's a blast to read, and read again

The "horror" part is reading back as an adult and realizing how scarily f**cked up it all is.

[+] 2 users Like ep22222gas's post
> The "horror" part is reading back as an adult and realizing how scarily f**cked up it all is.

Lol. harry potter is not horror dude.

> Not a fan of horror movies nowadays because most just rely on cheap jump scares IMHO. Not to be pretentious but i feel like scares through jumpscares are like laughs through tickles, its a cheap shot. Books are forced to build a slow tension. For me, its Danielewski's House of Leaves. Any other favorites that build suspense slowly and have earned a place on your shelf?

Danielewski's House of Leaves is really good

i don't like horror, but i do like well written books

For real horror read Chuck Palahniuk

His stuff is truly terrifying -- but also realistic enough that you could believe it's happening.

House of Leaves sounds like an interesting read, i will check it out.

Anything from Lovecraft

i second lovecraft

I also love dracula even though i can never finish it