arrow_upward
Games with a good story and good writing
What are some games that have both a good story and good writing? Sometimes (mostly?) you either get one of them or none. Games that I consider having both a good story as well as good writing are Max Payne 1, Portal 2, and Alan Wake. There are some cheesy parts, but overall, they're awesome, imo.

The gameplay doesn't really matter in this context, only story and writing.

I would recommend the Witcher series particularly Witcher 3. I would also recommend This War Of Mine as well it's a very good "story game". By this I mean it has a really good atmosphere and lore surrounding it. Next I would recommend Call Of Cthulhu, it is one of my favorites that I've mentioned. My last recommendation is Kingdom Come Deliverance and the Divinity Original Sin series. They both have a ton of good story elements.

I also completely forgot to mention any game texted based rpg by Choice of Games. They make some of the best in the industry and their catalogue is impressive. Though I've only played their games on my phone you can get them on Steam and on their webpage as well I think.

[+] 1 user Likes Ruvick's post
Dead Space?

[+] 1 user Likes thundereder9t8y's post
So the game series with the best writing i have ever encountered was the Trails Series. It is a J-RPG containing 11(?) series already. You should begin with TRails in the sky, maybe you begin to love the characters like i am

[+] 1 user Likes Sergei8899's post
Kingdom hearts has a great story and great writing as well as amazing gameplay if you haven't checked it out yet

[+] 1 user Likes d0zza's post
If you are into Star Wars, the KOTOR games have good story

[+] 1 user Likes Drew Berry's post
Witcher 3 has been now kinda overrated.

If you haven't played borderlands 2 I would highly recommend that

[+] 1 user Likes Orangular_'s post
Banner Saga was pretty tight and well written, great characters, and it's a full series with decisions carried over too.

[+] 1 user Likes blarfengarblarfengar's post
To the moon is one of the only games to ever make me cry consistently. Really good story and writing.

[+] 1 user Likes MrKorrok's post