arrow_upward
Good brand of kitchen knives?
I'm planning on splurging on kitchen knives but I've never bought them before.

What brands do you guys recommend? Also, what # of knives do you usually get in a set?

I try to avoid the ones that have like 10+ knives in a set because I don't think you ever need more than like 5 knives if they're well maintained.

I've heard Shun is a pretty good brand if you want to go for japanese style knives.

Try "Kiwi Brand" knives and get an eight inch chefs knife to get a feel as to what characteristics you'd like in a knife, they're affordable and work well to start off with and it'd save you the hassle of splurging on something you don't particularly like. Also purchase a honing steel rod to maintain your edge then eventually you can learn and practice how to sharpen your cheap knives and then eventually you can move up to better knives.

I heard Victorinox is a pretty entry level knife

Thanks for this. Needed some recommendations

Wustof are good if you like German style knives. And Shun is good if you like Japanese style, but Japanese knives are definitely more maintenance.

Wustof is a pretty good brand for most people, simple chefs knife, pairing knife, you can't go wrong. Those two things will help you accomplish 90% of things you will need to do in a kitchen.

Shun and Wustof are good options if you're looking to buy a few pieces and are okay spending a bit. Though honestly I've been really happy with my Ginsu Chikara set I bought as a broke student.