arrow_upward
Googling during coding test
Is googling for references fine during a coding test? Usually this is like a minute max of looking at another tab...

Like you want to use an API but don’t know the parameters, syntax, etc.

For coding test platforms like hacker rank, hirevue/codevue, coder pad, etc.

From my point of view Ask the interviewer at the start what there policy is. Some will allow it, some won't. I had one tell me I can Google, but I need to speak out loud/think out loud and explain what I'm reading as I Google

Sounds like the one interviewer that wanted you to say everything as you Googled wanted you to do so because they wanted to hear your thought process, and see your logic skills in action. Your logic abilities are just as important as remembering how to code itself. Bad code is usually code without any kind of logic structure to it. Simply memorizing code isn't enough.

If you could use it, sure. There's some people that have applications that you use, and it won't let you move away from the screen, the mouse cursor also, so if you have an iPad to Google, it might be good for you.

They mainly want to see your problem solving, so knowing the exact API probs isn’t an issue, as long as ur on the right lines

I'd run from a place that didn't let you Google in a test.

Its near impossible to remember everything, and references to function. Even for basic things I have to Google the docs and look at the options.

Being able to effectively use Google and find an answer is such an underrated skill. You've got to know whah to search in the first place to find the solution and sift through all the crap.

Like you said ask the interviewer to clarify. I've also had instances where I forgot to ask the interviewer at the start and either just asked them my question I was going to Google or asked them if I can Google it. Either way in my experience it's usually been fine.

Just ask the interviewer lol it's a totally normal question. Most places are fine with it unless its a pure algorithms interview

Def ask but it should be fine