arrow_upward
Greatest Japanese Sumo Wrester, Hakuho, Retires
Dude is 36 and started crushing people at 18...

45 titles...

for 15 or 16 titles, including his last one, he goes undefeated...

had some COVID/injury issues...

total legend...

Hakuho is a legend. I don't follow Sumo as much as I did but I started following it by getting randomly recommended it by the youtube algo because of the other combat sports I follow. For anyone who's curious I think it's a really easy sport to watch as the bouts aren't that long and they're almost always entertaining.

Recommend the following youtube channels if anyone's interested or want to learn more as I think they usually have introductory videos too:
- Chris Sumo
- Jason's All-Sumo channel
- Sumo Stew

[+] 1 user Likes MapleLeafMarco's post
Crazy how skilled you need to be in sumo...I see a guy like Tochinoshin, and I think he'll just dominate....but bro hasn't yet managed to reach the highest level of sumo.

Had to google Tochinoshin and forgot he's the Georgian Sumo. I remember thinking the same after watching compilations of him and then checking his rank, puts into perspective how much of a monster Hakuho is

I remember a bout where Hakuho was injured and wrestling another injured guy who was younger, and he gave that younger guy a really hard time because he lacked 'fighting spirit'...it was really cool to kinda see his mindset...the mindset of a champion....